It’s worth taking a look at this blog

valelapenadesdercdeinteI am honoured and humbled to have received this award. It’s an initiative called ‘vale a pena ficar de olho nesse blog’ which roughly translates into English as ‘it’s worth keeping an eye on this blog’. The chosen blog should copy the image and link back to the blog that gave the blogger the award. I was chosen by Janet Bianchini on her Abruzzo Edublog. The blogger should then choose 10 blogs worth keeping an eye on. I’d just like to thank Janet for choosing me for this interesting initiative πŸ™‚

With my 10, I’m hoping to acknowledge some bloggers that I really respect and whose blogs I really enjoy reading. I’m also including a few words on why I have chosen these ten blogs.

1. Kalinago English by Karenne Sylvester – she’s an amazing blogger, and I can say I’ve already learnt a lot reading her posts, on a number of different things.
  2. Critical Mass ELT by Sara Hannam – I really admire Sara. I think her blog is a great critical take on many aspects and areas of ELT.
  3. My Life Untranslated by La Flecha – @laflecha blogs about teaching EAL (English as an Additional Language) students in New York. I think she has a refreshing take on this job, and is blogging about an aspect of ELT that might not show up on everyone’s radar.
  4. Turklish TEFL by Nick Jaworski – I’ve only recently started reading Nick’s blog properly, but already I can see that he is asking some important questions and making some insightful observations on teaching (in Turkey and in general).
  5. Jamie Keddie’s blog – if you’re looking for ideas for using images in the classroom, this blog is for you. But more than this, Jamie blogs about English teaching and teacher training in an interesting way.
  6. $trictly 4 my T.E.A.C.H.E.R.Z by Nicky Whitley – a really like Nicky’s blog. Greatly written from an individual perspective (and a neat lesson plan involving a rude video – you edit it!)
  7. Classroom201X by Phil Bird – Phil’s an ESOL teacher in the UK, so I really value what he has to say about teaching and using technology. So should you! There’s some great stuff here about using Moodle and video with ESOL learners.
  8. The Island Weekly by Anne Hodgson – Anne blogs for teachers and learners (there’s a regular Grammar Guru section where she poses a grammatical quandry) – I really like reading what she writes, simple as.
  9. Lil Miss Bossy’s ELT Playground by Anita Kwiatkowska – Anita blogs about teaching in Turkey, like Nick. She has a lot of interesting things to say about teaching English in Turkey (as a non-native speaker – massive respect). A blog superstar!! πŸ™‚
  10. Six Things by Lindsay Clandfield – the last one is plain fun (albeit with some serious stuff in there as well ;o) ); Lindsay provides us with a miscellany of ELT. And right good it is too.

So what about you? Got 10 blogs to recommend? We’re waiting to hear from you πŸ™‚

17 thoughts on “It’s worth taking a look at this blog

1. Wow, thanks so much for the mention. Blogging is only made meaningful by readers (and comrades-in-arms) like you πŸ™‚

• You’re very welcome. And so right. Blogging would be much less without the readers and interaction with other bloggers πŸ™‚

• Hi Phil,

For me your blog is really interesting because of the focus on ESOL students, but I think you have a really good way of presenting and explaining lots of things tech-related – therefore everyone should pay a visit πŸ™‚

Thanks for those other links – I checked some other ‘It’s worth visiting this blog’ posts by Janet and Marisa, among others, and those you mentioned were already getting fair press. I didn’t miss them out because they’re not worthwhile, and I had better qualify my list of 10 by saying that there are certainly other blogs I’d recommend. They’re on my Blogroll πŸ™‚

• You’re welcome. I never got a star before (don’t think we did stars at my primary school) so thank you!!

2. Been away from the “interwebs” for a minute here, hadn’t seen this! I appreciate the recommendation, I will get on my business and do some linking soon…cheers!

• You’re very welcome, Nicky. I don’t think there’s a deadline πŸ˜‰

Looking forward to finding out your 10! πŸ™‚

3. Hey, Mike, wow, thanks for the shoutout! Your messages across the web have been so motivating and fun, and now this! Just ten? Very hard. Hmmmmm… Ok, links coming soon! Thanks again!

4. Pingback: The Island Weekly » Blog Archive » It’s worth keeping an eye on this blog

• Most welcome, Karenne. I think Darren Elliot has got it right that we shouldn’t forget the non-ELT blogging world. If I could go again, I’d definitely recommend Aleks Krotowski, Mark Kermode and BBC FiveLive for people to take a look at – all pretty interesting =)

5. Hey Mike, I’m making the rounds on the blogs today and catchin up on Google Reader. Got over 330 in the queue, ugh! πŸ™‚

Thanks a lot for the mention. I really appreciate. I liked your lessons over on the blog carnival as well πŸ™‚

• You’re welcome, Nick. Good luck with all that reading!

You already know this, Nick,

but if anyone hasn’t seen the Easter lesson (quite funny) on TurklishTEFL, they should go there and put it in their diaries for next year!

6. Pingback: Blogs Worth a Look at « Classroom201X

7. Pingback: “Last week in TEFL Blogs” – ‘Vale a pena etc.’ « $trictly 4 my T.E.A.C.H.E.R.Z