Welcome to my Faceblogging experiment!

Rosie the BloggerI recently read this post about blogging on Facebook on EduDemic (thanks to @shannonmmiller for sharing it), and have decided to start a little experiment – blogging on Facebook!

[I know I’ve been a little critical of how Facebook has been used for professional and promotional purposes rather than personal stuff with friends, but I think I’m going about this in what I consider the ‘right’ way]

I’ve set up a page on Facebook for my blog – where I’ll post updates from what I’m doing here or other things related to teaching, share links and hopefully connect with teachers and other education related people. The blogging on Facebook I will try out by using their ‘Notes’ application. This is mentioned in the EduDemic post linked above, but I’ll repeat here anyway: Facebook Notes used to be pretty rubbish. Solely text and quite uninspiring-looking, to be honest; but it seems this has changed. You can now format text in a Note, add hyperlinks, and even insert photos.

In my previous experience, Notes on Facebook used to come to me as silly memes (you know, ‘I’ve seen 125 out of 238 movies’ kind of thing – you make your list, tag your friends in the Note as you would in a Facebook photo, it then comes up on their feed, and they make their list, tag, and so on…) but this looks like it could be quite interesting. And is it actually that easy? The EduDemic post suggests that Facebook might become the place for new bloggers, so just how user-friendly have they made it?

Join me on my Facebook page as I try to find out!

Image credit: Rosie the Blogger by Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/notionscapital/2493066577/

5 thoughts on “Welcome to my Faceblogging experiment!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Welcome to my Faceblogging experiment! | Mike Harrison's Blog -- Topsy.com

• Hi Stewart,

I’ve got to be honest, I didn’t find it that easy to post my first ‘Note’ on Facebook and have it come up as ‘Mike Harrison’s Blog’ and not under my personal profile.

I’ve checked again and I think this is one of the ways to post from your page rather than your personal profile:

From your Home page/feed, click on the application ‘Adverts and Pages’. This should get you to an admin page for your Facebook Page. Scroll down and there should be a section called ‘Notes’. Click edit, then ‘write a Note’ and you should then be able to post a note from the page rather than as yourself. It should show up in the Wall feed for the page but won’t show up in your personal Wall feed.

I think that should work, but as I said, I had some trouble. Hope you get on well with your Facebook blogging!

• Thanks for that link, Sue.

I noticed the esolcourses Facebook Page while I was setting mine up. I like what I see re Pages so far on Facebook, and I think it’s the best way to do this kind of thing on the platform (rather than using a separate profile, though Groups could probably work as well).

It’ll be interesting, I think, to see how easy it is. I don’t think it will replace this blog, but could possibly become another space to air my thoughts and share useful resources.